Kokoda Track Leadership Program
Proudly sponsored by Club Mulwala and supported by many other organisations, community groups and individuals.
Students in Years 10 and 11 have the opportunity every two years to apply for the Kokoda Track Leadership Program.
Students have been selected for our 2019 Trek. If you are in Year 9 or year 10 this year (2019) we encourage you to start thinking about applying for this amazing leadership opportunity.
If you or your organisation would like to assist financially to this group please contact email@example.com to find out how.
A team of 10 – 12 students and 2 staff (teachers) travel to Papua New Guinea and undertake a nine day Australian Guide led trek along the Kokoda Track.
Provide high level practice and knowledge in team building that links to core community priorities.
Create an opportunity for these students to develop into ANAZAC Ambassadors – providing high level speaking and ambassador duties that represent the community in the ANZAC tradition.
Add-on to an already existent high level experience program and formulate a pathway to our Year 12 student leadership program.
This will enhance our commitment in regard to the ANZAC day and the tradition.
This program is heavily sponsored by Club Mulwala and is an opportunity for students to engage in an amazing and life-changing event.
The selection process is demanding and aims to identify students who model our College values at all times, always give their best effort, contribute to both the College and the local community and are outstanding ambassadors for our College.
The selection process is as follows:
- Students submit an expression of interest
- Students complete and submit the attached written application form. This will be used to shortlist students for the remaining aspects of the selection process.
- Shortlisted students will sit an interview with a 3-person panel and be expected to answer a number of questions.
- Shortlisted applicants will present a 5 minute speech on a topic of their choice to the panel. Students will be provided with a time and date detailing their scheduled appointment time.
- After the 5 minute speech, applicants will be required to respond to two impromptu questions and have up to 2 minutes in which to respond.
- Shortlisted applicants will engage in a team challenge to observe their skills in working with others
- All aspects of the selection process are scored using a common criteria sheet, with applicants being ranked as a result of all parts of the selection process.
- Eight to ten students will be selected to participate in the program. Successful applicants will receive a letter of offer. To accept the offer, students will need to sign and return the letter of offer with a $1000 deposit by a designated date. Since this is a voluntary extra-curricular experience students would also need to have paid their school fees to be eligible to participate.
- If a student is unable to accept the offer, a subsequent offer will be made to the next student on the list.
- Club Mulwala sponsorship is between $2000 – $2500 per student. Families will be expected to pay the remaining cost, in instalments, and we expect that the cost to families will be approximately $4500 (prior to fundraising). Full payment will be expected one month prior to the departure of the trip.
- The selected team may choose to engage in additional fundraising in order to further reduce the cost of the trip.
- This is a leadership experience and the College and Club Mulwala has committed a large amount of money towards this program. As a result it is expected that successful students would complete their senior years at Yarrawonga College P-12 so that they are able to perform their ambassadorial duties. Students who decide to study elsewhere would need to reimburse the sponsorship money. However, this would not affect the selection process as it is a merit based process.
In addition students selected for this leadership program will be required become official ambassadors. They will be requested to speak at forums and perform all duties required of an ambassador not only within Yarrawonga but throughout the district and region.
To walk along side our 2017 Kokoda Track Leadership team please click on the following