Promote Participation, Celebrate Competition
At Yarrawonga College P-12, ‘We strongly acknowledge the fact that regular, vigorous physical activity makes a positive contribution to children’s health and wellbeing.’
Students in the primary years (Prep to Year 6) are engaged in a developmentally appropriate Physical Education Program run by a Specialist PE teacher for one hour a week. We offer a PE program that caters for students’ immediate physical development needs, while encouraging them to be physically active for life.
Our PE program is designed to help children:
- become fitter and healthier and continue to develop their natural tendency to play and explore
- develop movement competence and confidence by refining the skills of body management and control and hand/foot/eye coordination
- develop skills related to the use of equipment through participation in pleasurable games and pastimes
- learn to move rhythmically and offer scope to express ideas and feelings
- improve self-confidence and social competence through successful involvement with peers, teams, parents and teachers
- become more able to cope with stress and anxiety
- overcome gender stereotyping by reinforcing the fact that people of either gender can participate and enjoy in all types of sports
Our PE/Sport program follows the pathway of School Sport Victoria which gives all students in Years 3-6 the opportunity and challenge to represent our school in their specialist sport in competition throughout the state. All students are involved in this developmental pathway of sports and have the opportunity to participate in carnivals and special event days.
We also endeavour to incorporate visiting specialist programs and individuals to complement our current focuses in PE and sport.